The Littlehampton Fort Restoration Project would like to thank The Yeomanry Volunteers for their kind donation of £100 and we look forward to working with them in the future. Please find some information about the Yeomanry Volunteers below
1. Who are the Home Defence Force (Volunteers)?
- The HDF(V) are a third line defence force dedicated to the defence of the UK. We recruit in the spirit of the original Militias and yeomanry that preceded to formation of the territorial Army using the many ex-military veterans, owners of ex-military vehicles and supporters of the military who feel that they still have a role to play in the defence of this country and genuinely care about the state of the Armed Forces even if politicians do not.
- The mission of the HDF(V) is to educate its members and the wider public in the values, skills, and history of the Armed Forces of the United Kingdom. This will include military refresher training, military oriented community service, lessons in military history and tactics, and social events geared toward building an HDF(V) community.
- The HDF(V) is an apolitical organisation. We do not tolerate any form of hate-mongering, religious intolerance or similar by any member on an HDF(V) web site, mailing list or group.
- The HDF(V) is constantly working towards becoming officially sanctioned by the MoD as a supplemental defence force to ease the pressure on Regular Army units. Our current aim to have the same status as organisations like the FANY.
- The HDF(V) is capable of carrying out a wide variety of tasks in support of the Regular Army.
- Our primary directive is that there is no way in which the existence of any HDF(V) units is to be used as an excuse to disband any Regular Army Units and replace them with the HDF(V) equivalent. In this event the relevant HDF(V) unit will also be disbanded.
2. What are the membership requirements?
- Members must have some form of military experience.
- We are not allowed to actively recruit serving members of the armed forces, Cadet Force Instructors, or members of the emergency services. This is because they have their own role if an embodiment is called. However they can join as advisers which basically means they are not assigned to a unit but can attend any HDF(V) activities and/or have access to our training equipment. Advisers are required to join the group for their county of residence, are listed in each Counties Personnel Reserve and are subject to paying the subscription fee.
- If you have no military experience but support the aims of the HDF(V) you may enroll as a Supporter on the understanding that you must attend a set number of training weekends before being accepted as a full member should you wish it.
- Ex-Military Vehicle owners are those who pledge their vehicles to the HDF(V). See link below.
- There are no gender restrictions excepting that you should not be unduly embarrassed at being the only female in an otherwise male crew or vice versa (it will happen believe me).
- The only health requirement is that you should have some mobility and be able to communicate.
- Membership fees are set at a minimum of £10 per year (you can pay more if you wish) which you can pay thru a link on the web site. If you are on benefits then you are NOT to make any payment unless it is a matter of honour or something. In your first year you are excused payment because of the expense of buying uniforms etc.
3. How do I join? (FaceBook User)
- If you are a FaceBook user you can join by clicking on the link to the county or country you reside in the list at the bottom of the page.
4. How do i join?: (Internet Access)
5. How do I join? (No Internet Access)
- If you know of anyone without internet access the tell them they can phone the Orderly Room on 0333 772 1466 (2000-2200hrs) or text 07598-840277 at any time for an application form.
6. Owners of ex-military Vehicles
7. County Groups on FaceBook:
- The list below is of the current active county recruiting groups on Facebook. They are constantly being added to.
8. Where are we:
HDF(V) units are based around the country. You will find them in every county in the UK as well as based abroad among the expat community.
9. Physical Locations:
There are planned to be many around the country. The original idea was to rent office space and operate out it but this has been abandoned now in favour of using old military locations like fortifications, gun battery’s, airfields etc. It was decided that any moneys used for rents etc would be be better utilized restoring/maintaining buildings of historical interest rather than filling a landlords pockets. If you would like us to consider your location then contact us and we will discuss it.
All we require in return is the use of your location when necessary, one or two rooms for offices/storage and in return you will get
- On-site security.
- Access to a workforce.
- Power from a generator
It is also our intention, when we become official, to campaign for some sort of protection for the numbers of pillboxes across the country on the grounds that they are a defence asset that should be preserved for historical and defence purposes.Back